Monday, May 3, 2010

Back Home at 174 Oeming Road

Hello to all -
We have come home - I flew in on West Jet so that I could attend my sister-in-law's funeral. Hu drove Karyn and me to Willingdon on Wednesday of last week. It was good to be there. The funeral was held at the Borowich Church and the service was spiritual. The priest sang the liturgy in Ukrainian, but the message was in English. Orthodox music is in the minor key and really touches your emotions. It was nice to see the next generation attending. My generation was represented but some family members were unable to come due to various reasons. A delicious dinner was served at the Community Centre - you can't beat Ukrainian cooks! Nolan, Uncle Henry's yougest son gave the eulogy after the dinner.
Hu flew to Vancouver to drive Grandpa home - they returned about 9:00 pm.
John Schneider moved in last week for some time so I thought it would be nice to have his dad over for dinner - which turned out to be a belated birthday dinner. I will send you my recipe for chocolate cake for which I always receive compliments - OJ remarked how much he enjoyed it. It is a never-fail recipe. Hope you will try it.
Cocoa Fudge Cake

1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2/3 cup cocoa
1 1/2 tsps baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
Heat oven to 350°. Grease and flour oblong pan, 13X9X2 inches, 2 round layer pams, 8 or 91/2 inches,or 12- cup bundt cake pan. Beat all ingredients in large mixer bowl on low speed, scraping bowl constantly, 30 seconds. Beat on high speed, scraping bowl occasionally, 3 minutes. Pour into pan(s).
Bake until wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean, oblong 35 t0 40 minutes, layers 30 t0 35 minutes, bundt 40 to 45 minutes, cool.
I ice with chocolate butter frosting.
Let me know if you tried it.
Love to all
Grannie

No comments: