Monday, October 8, 2007

Special October happenings

Dear Family -
October has just begun & we have had some wonderful happenings.
Jaima invited us to attend the Grandparents Tea at Ivy's school. What a treat. The children performed some cute songs (with actions) & they were adorable. Of course we were able to wave at Ivy & she waved back to let us know she saw us. As it is "Raise a Reader " week , we had the chance to help Ivy read, also see some of her creative picture drawings.We also toured her part of the school - it is very nice & well-kept-up. (the school-Clara Tyner was built when I was still teaching) I asked Ivy if we could meet her teacher. We all three went up to her teacher in the classroom & she said:"These are my grandparents - this is Gigi & this is Grandpa" The teacher was very pleased to meet us but a little confused why I was Gigi. I explained to her we were the greatgrandparents & that was what I was called. She thought that was very cute. I think so too.
We hosted Thanksgiving dinner to Hu, Diane, Hugo & the sister missionaries in our ward. The turkey was not quite ready so Grandpa told the story of the first Thnksgiving. He showed his Mayflower ship modeln & told him about his ancestors that came to Plymoth. Hugo was very impressed to hear this account. I had searched the Internet to find some novel ideas & found some 'riddles' about Thnksgiving. Hugo read the questions & everybody had the chance to answer. We did get some humorous answers & some were correct. Then the turkey was ready so we sat down to a sumtuous meal. Before dessert we took a break, went up to my study & sang some Thanksgiving hymns. One of the missionaries accompanied us on the keyboard. Then down for pumpkin pie with whipped cream & some apple cider. Everyone related some thing for which they were grateful The missionaries shared a message & then they had to leave. Dad & I took turns tidying up. I used my best china, sterling & crystal - first time since we moved to Edmonton.
Hope you all celebrated this Canadian Thanksgiving or will do so in November. Great time for a family gathering.
Love to all
Grannie

No comments: